You don’t have to be a student or studying for anything to get the exam dream.
Do you know the one I mean? You are about to sit an exam, it is extremely important – and yet, despite knowing the date and its significance, you have turned up, having done no studying or revision – you are unprepared!
Feelings of guilt and shame wash over you as you realise the significance of how a poor grade will reflect on you. You are disappointed in yourself, as you comprehend the outcome may stop you from achieving your future goals and realising your ambitions.
So, what does a ‘being unprepared for an exam’ dream mean?
- Sometimes this dream occurs when you feel in your waking life; that you are failing; in some way. Often, you are not failing, but you are creating exacting standards for yourself; that are almost impossible to achieve. Those; that are hypercritical of themselves often have this topic as a reoccurring dream.
- Another reason for this dream is feeling under appreciated. In your waking life, it may feel like, no matter how much you do – people do not notice; your efforts and achievements.
- Those; that have this dream; are generally very driven in their waking lives. The chances are you are very organised, make a lot of lists – and leave nothing to chance. However, this never-ending cycle of checks and balances can leave you feeling overly anxious – hence the dream occurs.
What can we take away from this dream?
- Often the anxiety is created by us, the standards; that we are setting ourselves – rather than those; being created by our boss, partner, family etc.
- Being successful in every single aspect of your life, and doing everything 100%, is not worth it – if you live an unbalanced life. You need to make room for fun and work and live a well-rounded existence. Sometimes, good enough is exactly that – good enough!
Moving on from this dream…
- Take stock of your waking life, and look where you feel most fulfilled. You might imagine it comes from your job or relationship, but sometimes, it is the little things in life; that brings spontaneity and joy.
- Try to offer yourself the compassion; that you might offer a friend in need. Do not judge yourself so harshly and critically. Try to celebrate your wins and achievements; rather than endlessly examining your perceived failures.