The supernatural has been a popular theme for a number of famous works of fiction for centuries, with many of the central characters displaying abilities in telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance and mediumship amongst others. Even after years of novels, plays, television series and films, we are still just as fascinated by the psychic powers held by the central characters. As psychic characters go on to be as popular as ever, we take a look at 10 of the most famous fictional psychics:
- Matt Parkman – ‘Heroes’ – Matt Parkman is a fictional character from the NBC drama series ‘Heroes’ played by Greg Grunberg. The psychic police officer first learns of his abilities when he overhears other thoughts, later mastering the ability to see into the future, manipulate other people’s minds and even erase their memories.
- Carrie White – ‘Carrie’ – Carrie White is a misfit high school student who uses her telekinetic powers to exact revenge on the bullies who once taunted her in one of the most famous psychic scenes in cinema. The character first appeared in the 1974 novel ‘Carrie’ by Stephen King.
- Professor X – ‘The Uncanny X-Men’ – Charles Francis Xavier is the central character from superhero comic book series ‘The Uncanny X-Men.’ He is a powerful telepath, who can read and control minds.
- Cole Sear – ‘The Sixth Sense’ – Cole Sear is a troubled 9 year old who in the 1999 hit film ‘The Sixth Sense,’ discovers that he can see the ghosts of dead people.
- Oda Mae Brown – ‘Ghost’ – The 1990 film ‘Ghost’ stars Whoopi Goldberg as Oda Mae Brown, a spiritualist medium who begins communicating with the spirit of a murdered man from beyond the grave.
- Danny – ‘The Shining’ – The plot of Stephen King novel ‘The Shining’ centres on a couple who move to a haunted hotel with their young son Danny. Danny possesses a supernatural ‘shining’ ability which allows him to see details of the hotel’s terrible past.
- Nick Marshall – ‘What Women Want’ – Nick Marshall is a character from comedy film ‘What Women Want’. Advertising Executive, Nick who is played by Mel Gibson, discovers he has the ability to read the thoughts of all the women around him.
- Lyn Cassady – ‘The Men Who Stare at Goats’ – Lyn Cassady is a psychic spy depicted by George Clooney in the 2009 film The Men Who Stare at Goats. The film, which is based on the 2004 book, tells the story of a US army training unit who were trained to develop a range of skills including remote viewing and phasing.
- George Lonegan – ‘Hereafter’ – George Lonegan, played by Matt Damon, is a world-renowned professional clairvoyant who struggles to live a normal life after he decides no longer wishes to speak to the dead.
- George Malley – ‘Phenomenon’ – George Malley is the central character in fantasy drama Phenomenon. Starring John Travolta, Phenomenon tells the story of small town mechanic George who is gifted with supernatural and telekinetic powers after witnessing a strange white light shining in the sky